Thursday, May 2, 2013

Telling a Global Story – Final Project


For my final digital storytelling project, I took an in depth look at how digital storytelling is prevalent and used by students who study abroad. This project reflects a core theme of the class, which is looking at how academic work can be translated into the digital realm.  In designing a website, I had to think about and determine how to combine the theories associated with study abroad and digital storytelling with my audience and how to showcase students’ stories that reflect their time abroad in combination with the questions raised throughout class such as how authority, authenticity, and ethics of using new media and digital technology change the way meaning is made and identity is constructed. To conclude the project, I made my own digital story about my study abroad experience to Paris in 2008 hoping to both self-reflect upon my experience and share with others what my study abroad experience meant to me.

The link to my website can be found here: http://tellingaglobalstory.weebly.com/

3 comments:

  1. Had another look around. I really like this as a web site. It breaks up your argument into digestible parts, and the videos hold a real place within the argument. Your final video in particular! It would have been cool to see you make a conclusion to the entire piece also in the form of a Digital Story (maybe shots of lots of people's trips and the structure of the familiar DS for Study Abroad?) Oh, I can't comment there, which is too bad. Also, I do think you might work a little more on your ideas about "Authenticity," I was interested in that section but found in underdeveloped. And, I couldn't open the Marketing page under more...
    Thanks for this interesting spin, or connection, between one part of academia and another.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sarina,

    My name is KC Owens; I’m a college student who loves to travel! While cruising the Internet, I found your site and really enjoyed reading your posts. Personally, I think traveling is a necessary part of life as you’re exposed to all sorts of new cultures and experiences. While enjoying time abroad, I've found it's crucial to fully understand the dangers that you might encounter along the way. These mishaps are part of life and certainly part of travel but it’s always a great idea to take preventive measures to help ensure your safety while abroad.

    I was hoping that you would allow me to write a post for your site to share my travel safety tips with your readers? I put a lot of time and passion into my traveling and I would love to help others by offering safety advice as a result of the mistakes and triumphs I've had. I look forward to hearing from you!

    Best,

    KC Owens

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey KC,
    Thank you for reading and commenting on my blog! It is always great to connect with other travel enthusiasts and I am glad you enjoyed my posts! I would love for you to write about travel safety tips and would be happy to talk to you further about your ideas! However, you should know that this blog and the website I made about study abroad was a project for a class I took last spring so now that the class is finished I am not updating as regularly as I have in the past. If you are still interested though, feel free to email me at SarinaRaby@gmail.com!

    ReplyDelete